The next step to completing the container house is prepping the interior surfaces. Mainly, there are rust spots that need to be fixed prior to installing insulation and electrical.
First, I prepped rusty scale and loose paint inside the container using a wire brush. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the prep process.
After cleaning up the rust scale and loose paint, I treated them with Ospho Rust Inhibitor. I applied one good coat of Ospho and let it stand about 30 minutes. I then flushed with water and wiped dry. Next, I covered these areas with a generous coating of oil-based Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel.
Fortunately for me, Jonathan already patched up the major leaks as shown in the picture above. He cut a hole and welded a new piece of metal to this area. It needed some rust treatment but I didn't have any other major leaks. There was one that I fixed from the roof of the container using Bond-o that was about 1/8" in diameter.
Overall, the interior container prep wasn't pretty but was very straightforward, now on to electrical and insulation!
My name is Ashley. I want to minimize my footprint and live a more sustainable lifestyle. I'm an engineer with a love for simplistic industrial design and fabrication.