Due to all the prep work, and my choice of door, the door installation was a piece of cake! The door is so heavy we had a few helpers come out to lend a hand. I didn't get any pictures of the crew but Jonathan, myself, Lindsay, and Austin all came out to make it happen. The door I selected is a steel 72" x 80" patio door with venting sidelights. I love the idea of being able to open the sidelights like windows and they came already screened in. The door was pre-hung with brick molding and cost only $600. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the store that the fittings have a brushed nickel look and the screens are built in because it wasn't advertised like this on the website - and it only cost $600.
First we caulked the back corner of the brick molding, the bottom side of the door, and the floor edge of the container where the doors sits. We placed the container in the frame and had someone hold it in place from outside. We only had to shim the bottom of the door in two places to make the doors open/close smoothly. We drilled through the metal frame first and into the wood frame of the door to secure it in 6 places. Then we went back and ran self-tapping screws through each hinge plate into the metal frame as instructed per the manufacturer's instructions. I still need to go back and insulate between the metal frame and the door but the door is secure and in place! I then installed my handle and lock hardware and it was good to go.
It is so exciting to be able to lock the container when I leave now instead of feeling insecure about a wide open container with some of my stuff in it (we locked up the tools, of course). Very excited.
Now it is time to start finishing out the inside. First is rust spot prepping and painting the inside, then insulation, plumbing and electrical!
My name is Ashley. I want to minimize my footprint and live a more sustainable lifestyle. I'm an engineer with a love for simplistic industrial design and fabrication.