It's been a while since I've updated the blog but we've been making great progress. I welded the window frames in place the same day we made the cuts. Three of the windows were a breeze to install. However, we cut the rough openings for the kitchen and bedroom windows a little too big. We welded the frames in from the top which left about a 1 inch gap between the bottom of the frame and the container wall. To fix this, I cut 1" x 1" angle into 1.5" long pieces and used these as welding brackets to secure the frame. I installed 2 of these on the bottom of each window.
The frames had already started to rust from sitting in the Houston rain so once all the frames were installed, I coated them with Ospho Rust Treatment. When applied to rusted surfaces, it resists/retards rust through a chemical reaction and dries to a tough, hard surface ready for priming. This will not only inhibit rust, it will also prolong the life of the paint job on the frames. My big brother (Jon the welder) informed me that this is a great product.
It's good to let the Ospho dry for at least 24 - 48 hours and wipe off any excess so it dries uniformly before painting. I did this the same day that we welded the frames and came back a few days later to do the painting.
For the paint I used an oil-based Rustoleum paint/primer. I used a brush for the window frames and it took forever. Jonathan pulled out his paint sprayer for the door since we actually welded and finished the door weeks after the windows. I am definitely using the sprayer for painting from here on out - now one of my favorite tools!
Final step of frame installation was caulking the frames and making the seams watertight. I sealed them using a paintable silicon caulk. It took about 5 containers to do all the windows. Not too bad. I haven't done this for the bottoms of the kitchen and bedroom windows that needed brackets. I think I'm going to put a piece of corrugation against the outside - or the flashing - and then install a gap filler to seal it. That part is TBD. For now, it is sealed up using good ole duct tape.
My name is Ashley. I want to minimize my footprint and live a more sustainable lifestyle. I'm an engineer with a love for simplistic industrial design and fabrication.