The time finally came to close in the gaping holes that have been in my container for over a month! The window installation was a breeze. I purchased all of my windows on Craigslist for $575 (including a 3' x 5' casement window I didn't end up using). All of the windows came with a nail fin and just to recap, the frames were built custom for each window. I have two single hung 3'x5' windows (front of container), one 42"x48" picture window (kitchen), one 3'x5' picture window (living), and one 2'x4' picture window (bathroom).
First Jonathan ran starter holes for all the screws to make installation easier. I purchased some #10 1 1/4" self-tapping metal screws from Home Depot. We ran a bead of silicon caulk around the inside of the nail fin and put the window in place. Then Jonathan secured the windows from the outside (to make replacement easier) with screws spaced approximately every 6-8 inches around the perimeter of the window. A few days later, I covered the top of the window nail fin and frame with duct tape to prevent any water from getting under the nail fin during the Christmas rain showers. Just a temporary solution until I have a chance to finish out the flashing on the windows. And here are the pictures!
The goal is to get the door installed this week before I go to Washington for Christmas.
My name is Ashley. I want to minimize my footprint and live a more sustainable lifestyle. I'm an engineer with a love for simplistic industrial design and fabrication.