First thing, enclose the shower and finish the bathroom walls! I started with some green board (drywall) for mold and mildew resistance in the shower walls. I used the shower base and the depth of the drywall to get an exact location for the wall to the left of the shower. Installed all the drywall in the enclosure, then fit the shower into place! A few days later, Jonathan and Fred installed the shower for me and cemented the base to the floor. Currently, the drain pours directly under my container, but I plan to route that into a grey water system. More to come on that later!
Next is the bead board! I got excited about the bead board and decided to finish my entire container (minus the shower enclosure) with it. I ordered 1/8" MDF Bead Board Paneling from Home Depot. They run about $20/panel, which was reasonable for my application. I applied a super generous amount of the Loctite Construction Adhesive used for the insulation to the back of each panel before nailing them down with finishing nails and the nail gun.
Before completing the bead board, I learned something. The Houston humidity caused the bead board panels to warp. As you can see in some of the pictures, it is quite noticeable throughout the container. I thought about replacing the bead board, but I found that all the paneling at Home Depot had some amount of warp to them. Mine came right off a fresh pallet when I purchased it. My solution, TRIM! I decided to put 1" x 1/4" trim at the joining of each panel to smooth out the curves and fool the eye. This actually worked out quite well. I'd say a valuable lesson learned is to wait to install bead board until after the air conditioner has been installed to regulate the temperature and humidity and allow the panels to lay flat for a few days to adjust.
There was a lot of trim work to be done! First, the crown molding, then the joint trim, then trimming out the doors and windows and the 'bulkhead' of the container door. Check out the slideshow below.
The next challenge was figuring out a good way to finish the windows. I had a 2-3 inch gap between the bead board and the metal frame of the window with the insulation starting a few inches behind that. I attached a 2x2 to the bead board in this gap. It isn't a structural solution but it only needs to provide something for the trim to attach to. I then attached 1x3s to the outter edges to frame the window, leaving a 1 inch overlap from the bottom and top - I love how it turned out! Finally, I finished the inner sills with an approximately 1/4" x 4" poplar board and custom cut it to each window.
I'm really blown away at how beautiful the trim turned out and how it hides all the imperfections of a novice home builder! Once I got everything caulked it did an even better job at hiding everything! Here is a picture of the completely trimmed interior! Paint and flooring next!!
Special thanks to Kezia, Fred, Jerome, Monica, Jonathan, Chris, Joanna, and Andrew for donating their time to help during this phase of the project!
My name is Ashley. I want to minimize my footprint and live a more sustainable lifestyle. I'm an engineer with a love for simplistic industrial design and fabrication.